Science uses a logical approach to answer questions and solve problems. It uses systematic observations and experiments that can be reproduced, and develops laws and theories that can be tested and verified. In contrast, pseudoscience is not supported by scientific evidence. It’s a system of assertions about the natural world that claim to be scientific but, in fact, are not.
In this assignment, you will examine examples of both science and pseudoscience. Please answer the following questions in your own words (Turnitin score less than 30%).
1. Preview the 4-minute EPA video on the carbon cycle https://archive.epa.gov/climatechange/kids/basics/today/carbon-dioxide.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.Watch the TED talk with Al Gore from 2:06-7:20. https://www.ted.com/talks/al_gore_the_case_for_optimism_on_climate_change?language=en (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
a) Very briefly explain the carbon cycle.
b) Name 2 things contributing to increased carbon emissions.
c) Name 3 consequences of increased carbon emissions. (6 pts)
2. Based on the graph below, a) what conclusion can you make about the effects of CO2 concentration on average global temperature? b) Explain why this is an example of science. (5 pts).
3. Watch the PBS video Climate of Doubt from 16:56 to 21:50 min. PBS Frontline 2017 Climate of Doubt (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. Think about how climate change skeptics â€œdiminish the credibility of scientific consensus” and “spread the message of doubt.”
a) Describe two arguments that Fred Singer, a climate change skeptic, makes about global warming in this segment. b) What evidence does he give to support his claims? c) Explain why these claims are examples of pseudoscience. (5 pts)
4. The Skeptoid website (https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4037 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.) has a 15-point checklist called “How to Spot Pseudoscience.” Choose 5 points from the list that best explain why Fred Singer’s arguments are pseudoscience. (5 pts)
5. Name one thing you’ll remember about how pseudoscience is used to distort the truth about climate change. What are two things you can do to address climate change? (4 pts)
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.