Music Extra Credit essay
The purpose of this extra credit is for you to consider the concepts of “American” music that we have discussed this semester and apply them to a recent piece of American music.
Write an essay:
– 350 words minimum/ 500 words maximum (must fit on one side of a single sheet of 8.5 x 11 inch paper–NO FOLDERS just a single sheet)
– Word-processed (not handwritten) single-spaced 12-point font
– Put your name on it
1. Must be about a musical work written and performed by American(s) AFTER the year 2000.
2. In your essay, discuss the following, in this order:
– Background about the piece (date, composer, performer, what category of music this piece represents)
– Briefly say why you chose this particular work
– What traits about this work are “American”? (What “American” values is this work promoting?)
– What did you learn about the artist(s) and about American music from researching and writing this paper?